Online fundraising for Team Alex - Ironman Arizona 2012

Sunday, February 5, 2012

Updates on Team Alex, Knee Pain, and Cleat Position

I have done really poorly with my training the last week. I was having some knee pain after putting my new saddle on the bike and starting hard intervals so I had a recovery week. Mike at Bicycle Village moved my right cleat inward because my coach said I was riding a bit bow-legged on our hill climb last Sunday. This and a bump forward seemed to solve the problem. Back at it starting tomorrow.

In other news, I have also really been struggling with my MBA online class this term. I am still barely hanging on to my A, but my teacher called in the middle of the SuperBowl to help me with the problem set. Took me away from the game a bit, but really nice since this is her only out of office day.

Updates from Team Alex:

Alex will start an Avastin trial this Thursday.Avastin inhibits the growth of new blood cells and has been shown to be a promising drug for radiation necrosis. It seems to be a much better alternative than steroids. The only drawback is that it can cause clotting.
We are slowly weaning him off of IV nutrition and trying to get him to eat solid foods. This is a hard slow process. Nothing tastes good to him and many foods make him gag.
He has more energy now and is moving about more. He still is a bit shaky in his movements and he drags his foot a little bit when he walks. We are hoping that this is just a side effect from radiation and that it will clear up with the Avastin.

It is trials like these that donations to the Childhood Brain Tumor Foundation benefit.

www.Razoo.com/TeamAlex

Thinking about doing a Battle of the Bands fundraiser for Team Alex. Any thoughts?

1 comment:

  1. Don't worry too much about your training this last week...we are still a long way out from the race. Plenty of time to make it up. And it sounds like with the changes you have made to your bike, future training will be more comfortable. Hopefully this new drug regime will be more effective for Alex...the Battle of the Bands sounds like a fun fundraiser...I'm impressed that you find the time to organise that on top of everything else you do.

    ReplyDelete