Online fundraising for Team Alex - Ironman Arizona 2012

Thursday, November 3, 2011

45 Minute Sell Out and Volunteering Mistake #1 and #2

I had heard that the Ford Ironman Arizona race sells out quickly, but not until reading the book, You Are an Ironman," did I realize how many Ironman dreams are crushed by failing to get registered online the day after live registration. According to the event website athletes competing the current year have an opportunity to sign up for the next year during the pre-race activities. The day after the race each year live registration begins. Volunteers with wrist band and T Shirt have priority and then everyone else who is physically present. The following day at noon, the remaining bibs go on sale online.

Accounts on how fast it sold out in 2010 range from 45 to a "little over an hour," but many say they were unable to log in before they sold out. According to Ironman.com it sold out in 25 minutes. I met a 2011 competitor on the Bicycle Village Colorado Springs Group ride last weekend that said he didn't realize  Arizona does not participate in Daylight Savings Time and missed general registration and had to pay for the expensive Ironman Foundation entry.

I decided to avoid this risk and logged onto the event website to volunteer for aid station 8 on the run. I figured this way I could see what I was getting myself into. Mistake #1: by the time I did this two weeks ago, one month before the race, there were very slim pickings for volunteer stations. Male changing tent, booths not on the course, late nights so you miss the dramatic last hour finishers, etc. Sign up early.

I then bought my plane ticket for Saturday morning the day before the race so I could go to the expo and experience the event. Mistake #2: The event timeline came out this week and I see there is a Volunteer meeting at 9am on Saturday. I emailed the organizers to see if there is any makeup training. I will let you know if I hear back.

Lessons Learned: Sign up early and fly in on Friday.

P.S. Response was, "you are out of luck." However, a day later I received an email from my volunteer team captain who told me just come early to my shift. Jerry said he would train me up and I will get my shirt so I can register the following morning. I guess that means we are still on. He also said, dress like a pirate. This should be fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment