Online fundraising for Team Alex - Ironman Arizona 2012

Thursday, November 10, 2011

Riding Indoors: Better Than the Real Thing?

Although the weather was beautiful today I have been thinking about all the riding I will be doing this season on my indoor trainer. In an attempt to make this idea more palatable I started doing lots of reading regarding indoor training. As it turns out, since the late nineties, professional triathletes have been migrating more and more of their bike workouts inside.

Andy Potts, Heather Fuhr, Peter Ried, Lori Bowden, Kate Major, and Natascha Badmann were all quoted in articles I read stating that indoor training was critical to their success.

The logic makes sense: there are no breaks or coasting on an indoor trainer so it increases the intensity of a workout, without any outside hazards, one can completely focus during hard efforts, and it allows you to safely conduct technique training such as one-leg drills. Andy Potts, Ironman 70.3 World Champion rides outside only once per week and competes 5 or 6 high intensity indoor workouts.

I am going to give it a shot. I purchased the Spinerval Triathlon Series at www.spinervals.com and am going to commit to doing the majority of my riding this winter indoors focusing on technique and power development.

Today's Workout: 2 Hour Brick: 90 minute foundation ride and 30 minute foundation run at Cherry Creek State Park.

No comments:

Post a Comment