Online fundraising for Team Alex - Ironman Arizona 2012

Thursday, November 3, 2011

Post Long Run Ice Bath - Colorado Style

Before I ran the 2011 Denver Rock and Roll Half Marathon my coach told me that she recommended I recover by taking an ice bath. Seeing as she was the last American Woman to win the Boston Marathon and a two-time Chicago Marathon winner who am I to question her advice. I tried it and I had no soreness at all the next day. After doing some research online, the recommended temperature is between 50 and 59 degrees Fahrenheit. We have pretty cold mountain water, but I was not sure that the water was cold enough so I had to try again.

The main principle that drives the ice bath believing population is that during long runs or intense exercise you cause micro trauma to your muscles. This results in gains in strength after recovery. By rapidly cooling your body you cause constriction of the tissues and blood vessels forcing the waste products like lactic acid out of your muscles, you combat any joint swelling you had, and when you warm back up new oxygen is pushed into the muscles speeding recovery.

The beautiful thing about having to run in 17 degrees weather for two hours is that there is ample snow around so that you don't have to buy bags of ice for your recovery bath. I filled the bath with cold water and two snow shovels full of snow from the yard. Of course the baby thermometer won't read low enough, but the fact that snow was floating around the tub looking for the Titanic leads me to believe I was definitely below 60 degrees.

I suited up in a thermal shirt and kayak jersey and made a hot cup of Chai tea. In I went.

Minutes 1-3: Extreme Shock and a little Pain
Minutes 4-5: Pain relented to numbness and shivering
Minute 6: Loving supportive wife told me I was shivering like a girl.
Minutes 7-9: Big Muscle groups started shivering still a tiny bit of ice floating around.
Last Minute: Time stands still

I then quickly took a warm shower. Next time, I think I will soak a towel in hot water and put it around my, uh, private parts.


No comments:

Post a Comment