Online fundraising for Team Alex - Ironman Arizona 2012

Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Christine is Taking on IMAZ 2012!

I met my friend Christine while waiting in the volunteer registration line. We had lots of fun talking about training and racing. Here is her early season report and we will check in with her from time to time this season. If you are racing, please answer the questionnaire and I will post you.
Q: Tell us about what you do and who you are.
1) I am a physician and take care of cancer patients. I also am a mom to a seven year old daughter and an eleven year-old son.

Q: What was the best part of volunteering for IMAZ 2011?
2) The best part was making some new friends (Nina, Carlos, Russ, Curt) and catching up with some old ones (Jeff, Chris) who were racing.

Q: When are you going to start training for the race?
3) I am starting now, but it's hard to get back into the swing of things!

Q: What training races do you have scheduled this year?
4) The Portland Rev3 1/2 IM, The Black Diamond 1/2 IM in Enumclaw, WA and finally IM AZ.

Q: Why an Ironman? Are you Crazy?!
5) It's hard to resist the ultimate triathlon challenge...Having been a volunteer for IM CDA and IM WFC (medical) and now IM AZ, want to experience it as a racer.

Q: What strengths are you bringing to the table?
6) Mental toughness and a willingness to work hard and learn as a beginner....

Q: Where do you hope to improve?
7) Swimming technique and making the endurance jump from half IM to full...

Q: Tell us something interesting about you:
8) I was a complete couch potato until 2009 and had to learn how to swim that year to do my first triathlon...In Seattle, I used to be the Medical Editor and on-air broadcaster for the CBS station evening news, three times a week. At the same time, I also had a regular Webcast, "CancerTalk with Dr. Christine Cha" on RealAudio. Luckily, my broadcast days are over... :)

Q: When did you start doing triathlons?
9) I started doing sprint triathlons in 2009. Since then I have also done 2 Olys and 3 Half IMs, the last being Wildflower LONG in 2010. What a fun experience! Every triathlete needs to do WF once... :)

Q: Are you hiring a coach this year?
10) Yes! My second - Chris Ramsey - DPT and a true rockstar! He's done 15 IM races and gone to Kona 7 times. I'm grateful that he has taken me on as someone who wants to do their first IM.

Q: How many hours will you be averaging a week this year?
11) If all goes well 8-10 until summer then, it's going to be very tight because my kids will be out of school 5-7/wk , then in the Fall 8-10/wk again to get ready for the big race.
Good luck Christine! You will do great.

No comments:

Post a Comment