Online fundraising for Team Alex - Ironman Arizona 2012

Thursday, January 19, 2012

Donna is Taking on IMAZ 2012!

Donna: We will be ordering some wall tattoos and maybe clothing labels for Team Alex. Best of luck!

1.    What do you do for a living?



I own a small design business www.lemondingo.com. I make wall art, stickers and clothing transfers. I like it because it’s flexible and allows me to work around home schooling my children, training and family life. I have 3 kids and a great husband who understands and supports my triathlon obsession.



2.    What was the best part of volunteering for IMAZ 2011?



I didn’t volunteer for IMAZ 2011. I have volunteered at IMCDA the last few years but I decided to take my chances and be part of the crazy online rush to sign up for IMAZ 2012.  I knew it was going to sell out quickly so I was prepared to do some fast typing and bypass a lot of the silly questions they have on there. Luckily I managed to get all the way through before it reached capacity. Some of my friends did not which was disappointing.



3.    When do you plan to begin your training for IMAZ 2012?



Officially my IMAZ training will begin in June but I have other races I will doing earlier in the year so my official training for this season starts January 30th.



4.    What are your major goal races this season?



My goal races are Boise 70.3 (June) and of course IMAZ (Nov).  I plan to do a few half marathons, sprint and Olympic tris and the Seattle to Portland bike ride as well just to mix it up and keep it fun and interesting.



5.    Why do you want to do an Ironman?



I think once you get hooked on triathlon you are inevitably drawn towards completing an Ironman. It’s the ultimate challenge in this sport. Is that a good enough reason?



6.    What are your greatest triathlon strengths?



My coach’s philosophy is to “enjoy the journey” and really that is my strength. I have a great group of people that I train and race with and so I just love the process.  I think that it is a strength when it comes to making it through log, grueling workouts.  I look forward to them and enjoy them. On second thought…maybe my strength is that I’m a masochist….but that doesn’t sound nearly as good J



7.    What weaknesses are you training to improve this season?



Open water swimming is a bit of a mind game for me. I could swim forever in a pool but get me out in murky, cold water …well that’s a whole other thing.  I have to work hard to get over this as I’ve heard talk that Tempe Town Lake is a wee bit chilly come November.



8.    What is something interesting about you that you would like to share?



I’m an Aussie girl who moved to the U.S back in 2004 with my family with the intention of only staying 2 years. My husband was transferred by his company from Sydney to Spokane but after the 2 years were up we decided to stay.  I think that explains a lot about my open water swim issues actually.  I’m not rough and rugged like all these other native Pacific Northwesteners.  My open water swim experience is in nice warm water.



9.    How much triathlon experience do you have?



I started doing triathlon about 3 years ago so I still consider myself a tri toddler. IMAZ will be my first ironman distance race.



10. Are you using a coach this season?



Yes, I am part of a triathlon team started by my Coach and his wife, so it was natural for me to have him coach me too.  His name is Scott Roy.  http://www.teamblazespokane.com/scotts_site/index.html

 He is racing in Arizona as well along with 10 other people so I am really looking forward to having him along with me on this crazy journey.



11. How many hours are you planning on for an average training week?



I’m expecting to be training between 12 -16 hours a week.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the blog post and the interview Russell....it was fun. I was just commenting to a friend yesterday how the internet has really changed our generation's idea of community. Thanks to the blogosphere I get to meet cool people like you who are on the same crazy journey as me. It will be a blast sharing our progress over the next 11 months.

    ReplyDelete